For all things Tooks, and some things, er, relating to other people. As well as to other things. You get the picture.

07 April 2008

Well, I have to admit: Toronto is a heck of a town. Aside from being stranded in the frozen wastes of our neighbor to the north--and by 'frozen' I mean 55 degrees and sunny in early April, and by 'stranded' I mean 3 hours from ROC City--it's got a lot going for it: cool people, good food, attractive attractions, and a dynamite Chinatown (where you can find all three of the former).

Also, it's got two IKEAs. Yes, two. Which means that my fiancee and I showed admirable restraint in only going to one, and only spending about an hour and a bit inside, which is a record for us. Luckily we went in on a kitchen mission and restricted ourselves to the following items, most of which we really did need (those we didn't, but bought anyway, are marked with an asterisk (*):

a) a potato scrubber
b) pint glasses
c) an apron*
d) glass storage jars
e) potato chip bag clips*
f) plastic cereal storage containers*
g) a neon sign that flashes and says "Kiss me, I'm Swedish"

Ok, the last one was made up. But I really wouldn't have added an asterisk if we had bought that. We do need one.

Anyhoo, the weekend in TO, ON was fun, notwithstanding several impediments, roadblocks, snafus and obstacles, especially ones involving getting lost, not finding parking (and so missing 4 1/3 innings of the Sox game we actually went to see), nasty stomach bugs making a fiancee of mine very vomitatious, dealing with snooty waitstaff in upscale restaurants, and the Red Sox sucking really hard on Sunday. Otherwise, an awesome time was had by us. If ever you find yourself in Toronto, be sure to stay in the Baldwin Village Inn in Chinatown. It's a little B&B run by these two awesome people. You will enjoy without doubt. We did, and you can trust us, because we enjoy lots of things and we're familiar with good enjoyment.

That's all the news for now. Tomorrow's my birthday, and I plan to spend the day deep in Zen meditation on the transitory nature of experience and the essential one-ness of all living things in the universe. Also, I might drink cold beer and enjoy the springtime. Either way is ok.

Sing "O Canada" and say "eh" with me,

TR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home